We are aware of the importance of SEO how it can spell success or disaster for a business’s online presence if done right. Let’s start with a short summary of SEO and how it can impact the ranking of your website.
SEO is an amalgamation of different strategies as well as best practices with the final goal being to increase the position of your website in organic search results. SEO can be bracketed down into two large parts – on-page SEO and off-page SEO.
While on-page SEO includes areas on your website that you can control, like loading speed, content, keyword placement and density, etc, off-page SEO is the quality of websites that you compete with and their influence on your site’s rankings.
The Importance of SEO
Seattle SEO is used by Google to determine the rank of each website against each search term. SEO ensures the websites appearing for each search term are the most relevant. Needless to say, the higher your website ranks in search results, the increased possibility of clicks as well as traffic to your site.
Does Every Business Need SEO?
Irrespective of the nature of your business or the market you are in – whether niche or highly competitive, most businesses need SEO to a certain degree to maintain a proper online presence. That said, there are some businesses and industries that require good quality SEO more than others.
Different websites have different needs from SEO. The typical factors determining your SEO needs include-
– The stage of growth your website is in
– How visitors are currently reacting to your site, vs. how you would ideally like them to react
– The set of keywords you want your business to show up against
– The quality and number of times SEO has been done in the past
– Whether your site has already been flagged by Google for a violation
When Should You Not Do SEO for Your Business
There will be times when SEO is not the best answer to your business’s online dilemmas:
1) When instant results are the need of the hour – SEO typically takes time to generate results in organic search. When looking for immediate results in terms of number of visits for example, PPC advertising may be the better choice.
2) When seeking targeted traffic – The kind of traffic that SEO generates to your site may not be in line with what you need. For example, a visitor might just be seeking more general or academic information about a service or product you are offering as against wanting to purchase them. SEO may not be capable of delivering only visits for those users who are in the right stage of the buying cycle.
3) When influencing search results for a particular keyword– Again, PPC might be the better option compared to SEO when it comes to keyword targeting.
4) When offering a limited time offer – Promoting a limited time offer is, by definition, time bound. Therefore, you want to attract the most visits to your site within a specific time period. Better than SEO, which is more long term, marketing products or services would prove more beneficial here.
5) When your content is not SEO oriented – SEO works best with content-rich sites that are frequently updated. This helps let search engines know that your website is updated and relevant and, therefore, ensures your site remains among the top few of search results. Squeeze pages are a good example where SEO will not work.
Is SEO the Only Key to Your Business’s online Success?
The influence of organic search in the way users explore for services and products ensures that it is one of the best ways to get potential customers. However, before jumping to the conclusion that SEO is the only way to get the results you want, the following points need to considered-
1) Budget – Do you have the kind of budget to stand a chance against larger competitors?
2) Speed – It takes time to see the results of SEO. This is especially the case in competitive industries. Are you working against a tight deadline or can you wait?
3) Online Advertisement – Considering the amount of space that PPC ads take up on search results pages, are you relying on SEO alone or are you supplementing it with a ad campaigns of your own?
While SEO and visibility in organic search is a good to have feature, its best not depend on it completely.
Instead of just blindly joining the SEO rat race, the primary question to ask before spending on SEO is if SEO is the right fit for your business at the moment. Consider the points above before making a decision.